I nod and smile a lot.
Like, A LOT.
I heard people think I'm nice (some people probably think I'm vapid, but they don't tell me that), but maybe they don't know why I'm grinning like an idiot at them.
There are seven main reasons I do this action:
- I didn't hear what they were saying. Admittedly, this happens a lot. Like, A LOT. I don't know if it's because I'm operating in a busy dance studio most of the time, or I'm used to tuning out many vocal noises since I'm around toddlers a lot, or because I have a short attention span (see previous excuses), but I can't hear shit. [nod and smile]
- You just said something really obvious with no irony intended. This happens in group classes every once in awhile. An attendee (AKA, student) raises their hand and points out how ladies aren't using connection or something... in my newcomers class. "Indeed! And the men aren't using CBM and the no one is doing rise and fall and no one even knows what rise and fall is and SHUT UP," goes my internal monologue. I mean, it also happens in daily conversation, but the dance example is funnier. [nod and smile]
- You just told me how to parent my children. I don't care who you are talking to and what your relationship is to them, this is not going to go over well. I'm not apt to throw down the confrontational gauntlet, so [nod and smile].
- I'm having a moment. I walked into a store this week, with no children yet a coffee in my hand, and I was a little beside myself with the glory of it. The really friendly, yet not annoying saleswoman was trying to make conversation with me and I, just, couldn't. [nod and smile] Maybe she thought I didn't speak the language.
- I have the distinct idea that you don't care what I'm talking about. Maybe you're twiddling your thumbs while I'm telling a story, or wandering away from the action during a class, or interrupt me to get your two cents in, but [nod and smile].
- You think I know what you're talking about. My science-y friends, my non-context-giving friends, my children... Often I don't know what the hell you're going on about. [nod and smile]
- I can't think of a clever retort fast enough. Gah! Surprisingly, while my mouth often outruns my brain, the reverse does not apply. I am quite clever on paper, but my verbal skills are laaaaaaacking. [nod and smile]
[can't think of segue]
[nod and smile]